Here's the Spotify link. Enjoy!
1. Chequeless Reckless - Fontaines D.C.: We'll be hitting three more songs from Dublin post-punkers 2019 Mercury prize nominated Dogrel (Strong Recommend) on this mix here. First up, Chequeless Reckless, owner of my favorite opening rock verse of 2019.
3. Psy-Ops Dispatch - Thee Oh Sees: Face Stabber (Solid Recommend) is not the best of the Thee Oh See's now twenty-two full-length releases (I'm still partial to the Brigid Dawson/Petey Dammit-era garage-anchored peaks Carrion Crawler/The Dream and Floating Coffin), but I'll be damned if this isn't the most adventurous album of the act's prolific career. On Face Stabber, guitarist John Dwyer takes all the textural experimentation that has increasingly dominated the band's last few releases and channels it into a supremely ambitious attempt to deliver a pysch-rock album every bit as fluid and improvisational as jazz. More often than not, as on the pounding Psy-Ops Dispatch here, he and the band succeeds, but the album's supreme triumph is coming up a bit later in this mix.
5. Greenville - The Long Ryders: From LA Paisley underground legend's first studio album in 32 years Pyschedelic Country Soul. More to come!
10. Loner - Queen Zee: Queen Zee, we hardly knew thee. Formed in 2017, the British queercore garage-punk act had already call it quits by the end of 2019, but not before releasing their highly entertaining self-titled debut Queen Zee (Solid Recommend). It's an album loaded with snarky, spirited, youthful gems, including tracks like Sissy Fits, Porno, and awesome closer I Hate Your New Boyfriend, but nothing on the album hits with quite the punch of the absolutely classic slab of garage rock Loner included here.
22. I/m Not Here [missing face] - The Twilight Sad: From IT WON/T BE LIKE THIS ALL THE TIME. More to come!
23. Uncomfortably Numb - American Football: From American Football (LP3) features Hayley Williams. More to come!
28. Simple Life - Lukas Nelson and Promise Of The Real: Form Turn Off The News (Build A Garden). More to come!
33. Henchlock - Thee Oh Sees: One of the definitive songs of 2019, and the best song on this mix, never does Face Stabber's psych-rock/jazz fusion gel more convincingly than on album closer Henchlock, all glorious twenty-one minutes of it. That crazy length is the only reason we left of Henchlock off of our Vol 2 - Best Albums Left mix, but rest assured, though long, this Thee Oh Sees song is never boring. A generational jam rock classic.