On this sampler, we divide things into three distinct movements.
Set one focuses on several of the 2019's best contemporary pop hits and dance club singles.
Set two goes mostly instrumental, with selects from some of the years best EDM, IDM, House, and Techno releases.
And in the Encore, we jumble it all up, and add a few beloved older players into the mix.
Here's the Spotify link. Enjoy!
SET 1 (Dance Tent Divas)
1. You're No Good - Chromatics: Straddling electronic and indie aesthetics, we split the two best songs from the always Lynchian (it's no accident the band closed the first episode of Showtime's 2017 Twin Peaks revival) Chromatics Closer To Grey between this mix and Vol 3 - All Things Indie. Here on You're No Good, the Portland-based, Johnny Jewel-led outfit hits a vibe flawlessly reminiscent of John Talabot's 2012 electronic hit Destiny to give us the perfect opener to this year's dance, pop, and electronica themed-mix.
2. Bad Guy - Billie Eilish: 2019's teen sensation keeps things going for us with the best uptempo number from her smash sophomore effort WHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP, WHERE DO WE GO? (Solid Recommend).
3. Motivation - Normani: A creation of reality television as much as the music industry, X-Factor and Dancing With The Stars contestant and former Fifth Harmony member Normani Hamilton nonetheless delivered one of the catchiest mainstream pop singles of 2019 with this irresistible number here.
4. He - Jai Paul: Single release He, marked the musical return of influential Aught's Indian-Brit producer/recording artist Jai Paul after a seven year hiatus.
5. Julien - Carly Rae Jepsen: Originally setting out to make her entire fourth full-length Dedicated (Solid Recommend) an "understated living room dance party thing," inspired by seventies disco from the likes of the Bee Gees and Donna Summer, Jepsen ultimately decided such a creative restriction was too limiting a constraint for the album in full, but some of the efforts she composed in that original vein still made the final track list, most notably best track Julien featured here.
6. Got To Keep On - The Chemical Brothers: Was really surprised how much I enjoyed The Chemical Brothers 2019 release No Geography (Solid Recommend). It doesn't offer much in the way or new, and isn't on par with their best efforts of the 90s, but for fans it is a very sturdy effort with a number of excellent songs, starting with it's most popular number, Got To Keep On here.
7. Incapable - Roisin Murphy: A bad-ass harbinger of more bad-assery to come, Roisin Murphy's Incapable was the 2019 lead single to her fantastic 2020 full-length disco banger Roisin Machine. If you're a rocker who generally can't stand disco because you feel it lacks rock's more muscular attack, then Murphy is without question the dance house artist for you.
9. White Mercedes - Charil XCX: One of the more frustrating albums of 2019, Charli XCX's Charli (Mild Recommend) is a maddening mixed bag of near-brilliant contemporary pop nestled side-by-side with some of the most grating, experimental club bangers in recent memory. That said, the album remains well worth checking out for top tier collaborative highlights like Gone (Christine And The Queens), 1999 (Troye Sivian), Blame It On Our Love (Lizzo), and the album's best solo effort White Mercedes.
10. Prophet - King Princess: For my money, the sultriest vocal performance on this entire mix, King Princess's (aka Brooklyn- born Mikaela Mullaney Straus) Prophet was pulled from her well-received full-length debut Cheap Queen. It's a debut that could have come a full decade ago. Straus, the daughter of a recording engineer, was originally offered the chance to sign with a label at the ripe old age of eleven, but wise beyond her years, having spent so much time in the studio with her father and having seen first hand the way labels warped and diluted so many artist's work, opted to hold off until she had fully established her style, base of collaborators, and artistic identity herself.
SET 2 (Heady House Heroes)
20. Dreamer - Four Set: Single. More coming soon!
23. Summon The Fire - The Comet Is Coming: From Trust In The Lifeforce Of The Deep Mystery. More coming soon!
ENCORE (Main Stage Magic)
30. Daylight Matters - Cate le Bon: One of the most critically lauded albums of 2019, I did not find myself bonding with Welsh experimental pop artist Cate le Bon's mediation on solitude Reward (Mild Recommend) as much as many, but I did love the opening two tracks Miami and the even better Daylight Matters featured here.
31. Timewave Zero - The Comet Is Coming: From Trust In The Lifeforce Of The Deep Mystery. More coming soon!
32. Sucker Punch - Sigrid: The title track to this young Norwegian electro-popper's 2019 full-length debut, Sucker Punch might be tastiest bit of sugary ear candy on this entire mix.
34. MAH - The Chemical Brothers: Here's one more banger from the Chemical Brothers highly entertaining ninth studio release No Geography, this time second single MAH.
35. when the party's over - Billie Eilish: From WHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP, WHERE DO WE GO? More coming soon!